By Julie Spira, bestselling author and online dating expert
Now that we’re done celebrating Memorial Weekend, it’s time to think about finding love online this summer.
Just like you take the time to change your winter wardrobe to make room for your fun and flirty summer wear, you should think about taking inventory of your online dating profile. Perhaps it’s time for a cyber face lift.
Here are some online dating tips to help get your profile noticed and rise to the top. So get ready to fill your date card.
1. Start from Scratch. If you’re happy and comfortable with your current online site, you won’t need a simple makeover of your present profile. What you will need is a brand new profile. The key to making sure you appear as “new” is to create a new profile from a different email address than the one you have previously registered with. If you’ve taken a break from online dating and are ready to jump back in, don’t refresh your outdated winter profile. Retire it permanently and start from scratch. This way you’ll show up in a search as “brand new” and you’ll be the fresh new face in the digital playing field.
2. Change Your Catchy Screen Name. Let’s face it. Your current screen name isn’t really that catchy is it? If so, you’d be riding into the sunset with someone right now. Think about a name that doesn’t describe you to your girlfriends. You’re writing to attract a quality man who doesn’t want to hear about your shopping expeditions. While you may be a fashionista and will look great on a date, he’ll think you’ll be spending all of his money while gallivanting at the mall and won’t be spending time with him. Guys should delete the party shots and references to his drinking buddies. Think about what you’d like to do together as a couple. What activities and interests will you have in common? Imagine spending them with your dream date. Pick three different catchy screen names and rotate them on your profile headline. Don’t describe yourself as pretty, beautiful, or handsome as you will seem shallow. Both women and men are visual. They’ll notice how you look in your profile photos. You’ll know soon enough which screen names get the most attention.
3. Be Realistic. I’m not saying don’t be picky. Wanting a Renaissance man who makes $300,000 a year and will give you back massages and write you love notes all day long is not realistic. Whatever you have on your list, cut your list in half to show the absolutely most critical things you want in a partner. Our goal is to help you find love and a meaningful relationship. I know you can find it online and I’m here to help you do so.
4. Spend One Hour a Day Online. You say you’re too busy to spend one hour searching through profiles and finding quality men to date? If you can find time to go to the gym three times a week, meet your girlfriends for drinks, and attend business networking events, then you must allocate one hour a day to devote to your love life. I know you’re already logging onto Facebook up to an hour every day, so while you’re checking the latest status updates and commenting, cut that time down and visit your online dating site.
5. Two is Better Than One. Online dating is a numbers game. Fortunately, there are over 1500 sites to pick from. My suggestion is to sign up for one mainstream popular site that has a lot of active members and select a second niche site to post another profile. If you’re wondering what a niche site is, it’s one that focuses in on your hobbies or religious beliefs. There are sites for book lovers, vegetarians, pet lovers, and those with medical conditions. There truly is someone for everyone. Visit our Dating Community for some sites that I recommend.
Make this summer your time to find the love that you truly are looking for. If you need personalized help with your online dating profile, you’re not alone. Contact me at CyberDatingExpert.com/contact and we’ll make sure you have an irresistible online dating profile.
Julie Spira is a dating and relationship expert and the author of the bestseller, The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Like her at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert. Follow her on Twitter @JulieSpira