Last Tuesday I flew from Los Angeles to Florida to attend the i Date 2008, Dating and Social Network conference. Early that morning I had a radio interview – the first of many to come to talk about being single on Valentine’s Day!
During the radio program I spent fifteen minutes talking about “The SV-8,” AKA the “Singles Valentine’s Eight,” which are eight points to follow if you happen to be single on Valentine’s Day. My intention with the eight tips is not so much about the “eight things to DO,” but about nourishing your being on all levels – emotionally, spiritually and physically. The SV-8 list is just the best way I felt to present it.
Interesting to me, a women writer bashed what I wrote, perhaps not understanding that the point of The SV-8 was not to provide a laundry list of how you should or shouldn’t be behaving, but is just about being good to your being… Writers Blog
So as we approach February 14th, the calendar day dedicated to love, chocolate and red roses, it seemed like a good time to talk about how that day as a single person may make you feel even more, well, “single.”
Honestly, as glamorous as my life may seem, I spend so much time on my own, including Valentine’s Day.
I guess I feel lucky that I have never felt the “pressures” of the day and what everyone expects. Perhaps that is because, while I may not have followed my own SV-8 list down to the every detail (which was bashed by the woman writer), I have always done something to nurture and celebrate me on Valentine’s Day, no matter how big or small.
The SV-8 are not a hard and fast, magic list of things to do for your single, fantastic self on Valentine’s Day, but they do provide some ideas on ways to celebrate the “day of love” by loving yourself.
Happy Valentines Day!
Single on Valentine’s Day? Forget the tired traditions of candy, roses and feeling sad and lonely. If you are single this Valentine’s Day, remember the simple things you can do for the most important person in your life … you.
The SV-8 is a special recipe with eight fresh tips for whipping up the sweet Valentine’s Day that YOU deserve.
1. Rent DVDs, throw on comfy clothes or PJ’s, take the phone off the hook, order in and drink your favorite beverage.
2. Enjoy a special bottle of red wine, which is great for your heart and full of antioxidants. Drink it while taking a hot long bath, listening to your favorite tunes.
3. Go to a local day spa, get a long massage, take a sauna, use the Jacuzzi and walk around comfortably in the buff!
4. Buy yourself a special gift and don’t feel guilty about it because you deserve it.
5. Enjoy your time alone and appreciate what you do have, not what you don’t.
6. Order a customized bag of MY M&M’s @ MYMMS/COM/VALENTINE23 with the words “I Love Me” and “I Am Sexy.” Here’s an added bonus: Chocolate has health benefits for your heart and contains a natural “love” drug called tryptophan.
7. Go to a local bar or pub ALONE in a smokin’ hot outfit. Strike up a conversation with someone you might otherwise be too shy to approach or may not look like your type … you never know if he or she could be “the one.”
8. Hit your local gym, throw on a pair of running shoes or take a long hike. Get physical. The endorphins released during exercise are almost as good as sex.